Tuesday, August 10, 2021

Last week of summer vacation / Church camping / Amy's PR mile!

This week is the last week of summer vacation for the kids.  Honestly, we have been looking forward to this for over a year since the pandemic started and Kai and Sora were at home all of last year and some but with the Delta Variant rising, it does make me worry a bit.  Perhaps not personally so much as I know the chances of our kids getting seriously ill is rather small.  There is a tiny bit of worry that with my mitochondrial condition, I'm not sure how COVID will effect me if I get it.  I am worried that a bunch of kids going back to school will spread coronavirus like crazy and cases will generally increase around our area.  I am still reassured that the bay area is generally very highly vaccinated.  Sigh, damn COVID..

The weekdays were pretty quiet.  I worked most of the days and Amy took the kids to the Great Mall to look for some nicer clothes for Matt's upcoming wedding.  

Had to stop for pretzels midway through the shopping ordeal

The kids went swimming as per usual though they are losing their enthusiasm for it a bit. We are canceling our Villa membership soon and will go back to 24 Hr Fitness for now :)

Sometimes they aren't fighting 

The big event of the week was our camping trip with church.  The last time we went was 3 years ago as we missed 2019 (because of Thailand) and 2020 (COVID) so we were really looking forward to it.  The trip overall was great!  The kids had fun playing together and running off into the woods.  We had fun catching up with friends that we hadn't seen in a while.  No one was burned despite many small children with sticks and the roaring fire.  What more can you ask for? 

Kids with burning sticks!

Jad working to pump up the inflatable beds

It's not camping without s'mores

Late night screen time sneaking while the adults are talking

We were at Sunset Beach so we spent much of Saturday in the sand.  It was a bit cool and overcast but Amy and I managed to get mild sunburns on our faces.

Tent city on the beach

As usual Stephen, with his infinite patience, helped the kids
make a giant volcano and moat

Ethan and family came down for the day too

Sora and Elisa had fun digging their own hole fortification

The shaws also daytripped down and the kids got
a ride in the trunk of the minivan

A bunch of clams were dug up (mostly by Sophie and Victor)..
Questionably legal but definitely delicious!

Jad is negotiating with Uncle Drew for bacon
before everyone else starts eating.. he got one :)

There was a lot of mist which condensed in the trees and fell on our tent.  Nonetheless, we slept better than any previous camping trip.  Maybe these kids are growing up after all..

Stuffing the tent back into the bag after drying it at home..
Til the next camping trip!

Lastly, today Amy finished up her speed training and she went to test herself.  I'm happy to report that she handily beat her previous mile time (7 mins 20 secs) and did it in 6 mins 56 secs.  Woo hoo!  She says in high school, she was able to run it in 6 mins 53 secs but I think that's still pretty amazing :)

No comments:

Post a Comment