Tuesday, February 8, 2022

Spotlight on Kai / Early morning runs / Day dates / Elysia's and Victoria's birthdays

 A pretty quiet last week.  Let's see..

Kai recently asked to sleep in his own room.  Part of it might be that Jad sometimes wakes up early in the morning and cries, waking everyone up, but also it may be that he's starting to feel a little older.  He's moved to sleeping in the front bedroom on his own and doing very well actually.  The room was (and is) slated to be Sora's eventually when she got old enough to be separated from the boys but for now, it's a good refuge for Kai.  

There's an LED color changing light in there so
Kai likes it either blue or green for sleep

Kai has been enjoying jujitsu and we think it's still good for him.  He often doesn't pay much attention and isn't very careful (in a lot of things actually), which is very frustrating for Amy and I but lately, we've been trying to shift focus from telling him what he's doing wrong to telling him what he can do to change his behavior and improve.  It's a small shift but I don't want to be cutting him down all the time and instead want to focus on empowering what he can do to change.  It's a hard shift and we're still working on it.  He's really a great kid, we want him to feel that way even if there are some improvements to be made.  Man, parenting sure is hard..  In many aspects of adulting, I feel like I'm doing well but this is something I can improve, for sure. And also in caring for my parents..

Still rollin'

I'll leave Kai with one more pic.  Even though he acts like he's older sometimes, he's still very silly and still enjoys lounging in the tub and pretending to dive with his goggles :D

We'll miss this when he gets older, for sure

Now I have to throw in a picture of Sora, who usually prefers showers nowadays.  She's super cute but still has to work on her reactions when she's frustrated.

Cutie

Amy has been running with a small group of friends she found on Strava.  Norm and Kelly get up early in the morning about 3 times a week to run around Miliptas and it's nice for Amy because it's close by to our house.  Amy has been trying to run with them once a week, usually going out around 6am so she can get back before the kids are up.  She's got really wonderful discipline, though she said recently that she's "addicted" to running ie. if she doesn't do it she feels down.  Hey, there are far worse things to be dependent on :)

An early run in Alum Rock park


These are the kinds of pics Amy brings 
back from her mornings

Amy and I got out for a quick lunch date on Friday last week.  We checked out the taco truck which is parked a the Shell gas station at Sierra and Piedmont.  Pretty good! (though the portions are a bit small).  I'm glad that Amy and I can sneak out for dates occasionally :)

Tasty tacos and consume dip for berria

This past weekend was Elysia's birthday and she had a bug themed party!  It was really fun with the Beetlelady (she's apparently a PhD entomologist who also does children's parties :) who brought out both live creatures and props to teach about little critters.

Captivating for youngers and elders


Sora held a praying mantis with 
very cool leaf mimic wings

Jad enjoyed the feet of the giant millipede

First time holding a tarantula for me!

We had a nice outdoor dinner
with the firepit afterwards

The celebrations continued to yesterday, which was Vic's actual birthday, with RCC neighbor dinner to finish off the food from Elysia's party.  We are super lucky to have such great neighbors who can celebrate and spend time together :)  Happy birthday, Vic!  (thanks for reading our blog :)

Mini chocolate and dessert wine
(from Sonoma) tasting

I'll leave you with a pic of the kids for this week.  The creek is flowing for now but not for long if we don't get more rain soon!






No comments:

Post a Comment