Wednesday, June 8, 2022

Nik's eye surgery // Summer heat and activities // Kai's Jujitsu and soccer tournament // Neighborhood happenings

 Whoa, it's already been a few weeks since I last blogged.  Just got busy and with having the eye surgery, I was not using the computer for a while as I recovered.  Lots to catch up on..

I had my eye surgery and overall it went well.  I got Versed (a medication that relaxes and allows you to stay awake but also makes you amnestic to what's happening ie. no new memories.)  Similar to when I had my right eye done a few years ago, I remember being wheeled in to the OR, the anesthetist saying he'll give me some medicine and the next thing I know, I'm sitting up and putting on my clothes.  

Pre op waiting

Recovery at home, using the magnifying glass
to look at my phone

A couple of weeks later and I'm all mostly recovered.  With the fancy Extended Depth of Field lenses, I can see distance very well now and intermediate up to about 6 ft away.  Unfortunately, that leaves me with still needing glasses for computer use and reading.  Still, I've never been without glasses since I was 5 years old so it's a novel thing.  Sometimes, I'll reach up to adjust my glasses then realize that I don't have them on.  

Drugstore reading glasses for $5

The kids are not out of school til the end of this week but the summer activities have begun even as school and spring winds down.  Here are all the happenings in no particular order..

Aoalins opened their pool up!

Jad is becoming more comfortable in the water.
One of the goals is teaching him to swim this year.

Kai's soccer season ended and the team celebrated together.  The kids are really cute together and have gotten to know each other well.  The team and parents are focused on having fun with a bit of competition and we think that's the way it should be. Hopefully, we can still get some to stay on the team with Kai for next year but Niko and a few others are moving onto competitive soccer and Dylan is aging out to the next group as well. 

Pizza party!

Kai joined a jujitsu tournament for the 2nd time.  This one was much bigger than his first one and must have been intimidating but I'm very proud of him for doing it.  There were four kids in his size / belt class and he took 2nd place!  Organization could have been much better and we had to wait almost an hour past his allotted time to go but he did great.

Lining up for the mats

On the podium!

Sora finally finished up in her yellow level gymnastics class and moved up to join Noe in the green level class.  She's very happy to be with her friend and advancing forward.  Also very proud of her.

Stretch..

Jad had his preschool graduation from Agape (though he's also still in school til the end of the week).  I think it was a bit poignant for Amy to see him finish there, as we've had all three kids go through.  Thanks to Bea, the teachers and her amazing family for starting our kids out right. 

The line up

Proud mom and the little guy

We were a bit behind on the summer camps this year.  Kai is signed up for 2 weeks of stuff and Sora and Jad for just 1 week.  We rejoined Villasport so we'll probably be using the pool a lot and hanging out locally.

At the old fishing hole.  There weren't many fish but
the kids still managed to catch a bunch of fry.


Amy took the kids cherry picking in Gilroy

She also took them ice skating at Shark Ice.  Sora loved
it as she didn't get to ice skate at the winter retreat last year

Matthew and Nicole also visited recently.  Just for a few short days to celebrate Amy's mom's birthday and see everyone.  It was nice to see them and they made us all a great Peruvian fish stew for dinner.  

A visit to our house means video games with the kids

Kai kickin it with Matt

Speaking of kicking, Kai also did a weekend soccer tournament with some of his team.  They played great their first game with Kai really pushing hard and getting in there with the ball (won that game 3-0) but didn't do as well and last the other two games.  Very proud that Kai pushed himself and did his best!

Good job, Vipers!

With summer fast approaching, the time of day dates may be on pause for Amy and I, so we got in a movie. Watched Everything Everywhere All at Once, which was really good!   Great performance by Michelle Yeoh and Ke Huy Quan (Short Round and Data!) which did a great job intertwining family relationships, choices and regrets, the universal search for meaning and comedic too!  

We were 2 of 5 in the theater

Lunch date at Antipasto's
(steak sandwich was merely ok :)

The houses in our neighborhood have also been turning over as the old generation downsizes or moves away.  There have already been five new neighbors recently.  Coincidentally, our new neighbor, Janet, knows Chris as they used to work together.  They accidentally received one of our pieces of mail with Chris Udompanyanan on it and Janet was super confused.  Very funny :)

Chris, guess who moved in next door

New neighbors also (hopefully) means more kids to play with.  David and Janet have a 1 1/2 year old names Josh, who Jad has taken quite a liking to.  We think it's because he's always been the smallest of the neighborhood kids so he needs someone to order around and show the ropes too.  Casey is younger too but since he's almost as big as Jad, I think he didn't listen much.  Josh is still impressionable and doesn't have an older sibling to boss him around (yet :)

Jad showing Josh how to use the car
ramp in T&T's backyard

Vic and Kegan are also remodeling their bathroom so all the neighbors took advantage of the dumpster they had rented and got rid of all our big items.  I was going to dump Amy's 30 year old bike in there but Vic sent it out on the Buy Nothing San Jose group and it was picked up immediately.  Amy was a bit sad but felt better that it was going to someone else than the dumpster.  

*Sob* .. don't worry, time for a new bike!

To finish it off, a couple of random pics.  Viet visited the area for a conference.  It was nice to see him in person (he looks the same :) even if we game together about 3-4 nights a week.  He also gave me some of his old shirts that no longer fit.  That's a special friendship where you can give your old clothes to the other person, especially for dudes.  Looking forward to when he moves back to the California even if he's going to be in OC.

Falafel and banana shake for $11.. not bad!

I'll leave you this time with a picture of Sora playing the piano with Dali.  I never got to play any sort of instrument or take lessons when I was a kid (too poor) and I'm glad that we can provide this for our kids.  Kai said he's interested too so may start lessons soon. 


Til next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment