Tuesday, September 23, 2025

First month of school and already busy :)

It's true what they say.. as we get older, the years pass by quicker :)  Not too much of major significance happened in Sept but we were busy all the same.  School continues and the kids are doing generally well.  Kai is running cross country in the C boys group (less than 5' 2") and doing amazing at it.  He's the 2nd fastest kid at his school and usually finishes in the the top 5 at the meets.  He is also continuing with rec soccer and jujitsu so he's often quite busy.  I have never been a fan of overscheduling kids and have been telling him that he does not have to do all of these things if he feels too busy but he's keeping it for now.  Pretty impressive really.  I am always a bit hard on him for the things that he isn't good at so I have to keep reminding myself to praise him for his strengths too.

Good job, dude

I could never run the mile in less
than 20 mins :p

Sora continues with her gymnastics, piano lessons and Girl Scouts though she's much less busy because those activities are once a week or less.  She did consider joining a musical but practice was 2 hours every week day and 5 hours on Saturday and she's have to give up all of her other activities so we decided against.  She is also most enthusiastic about art "class" on Fridays (given by our retired neighbor Peggy) and loves going to hang out with friends, jump on their trampoline and play in the sprinklers.


Picked up extra kids to come home for art class

They are all making a home movie on the ipad at the Connick house 

Stephen making some marble art

Jad remains dedicated to competitive soccer.  He has improved greatly since last year but is still a bit timid (probably partly because of his small size) but is certainly getting better.  He's currently on the middle tier team but plays for both the mid and lower tier teams to get more game time.  Both Amy and I are glad that he is passionate about soccer and hope that he continues to improve.  He does take it hard when the team loses though and I am cautious as I want this sport to be a confidence builder for him rather than sap away at it.  Time will tell but for now, we'll do our best to support him :)  He doesn't like school as much as Sora (who likes and is good academically) or Kai (he doesn't like school either but is  pretty good at it), but he's working hard and improving.  He's got lots of friends though and does love hanging out with them.

Jad and Olivia at Colton's birthday
party at Sharks Ice

Amy is well though the beginning of school is always busy.  She has been doing a lot with the Parent Participation Program at the our elementary school and leading the Girl Scout troop as well as helping with her parents.  Hopefully, things are slowing down a bit now and she'll have more time for herself.  We are all getting ready for a cruise to Canada with her family in a couple of weeks and at the end of the month she'll go to Korea for 10 days with some of the church moms.  

I made her breakfast in bed one day when she was really
tired.. what a great husband :p

And we still get out to lunch dates at least
once a week to have some 1-on-1 time

As for me, I'm doing generally well.  Work is great right now and I'm getting regular exercise about 4 times a week.  Reading lots of books - finished Empire of Silence, Children of Time, Neuromancer (All pretty good).. didn't finish Best Served Cold or Sword of Kaigen (they had their strengths but just didn't appeal to me) .. I really have to work on my own writing :) I've also been taking some lessons in theology with our pastor so that's been interesting as well and we are helping with hosting our fellowship group.   Oh, my birthday was also this past weekend so now I'm 48!  Whoa, crazy :)  I definitely feel older but still doing my best to stay fit, enjoy the little things in life and spend time with people I care about.  We celebrated with Amy's family on Sat evening including Matt, Nicole and Lukas who came up from SoCal then had a small party with the neighbors on Sunday night.  Good times!


Volunteering with our church group

Packing and sorting food.. the kids were great
help with this and actually enjoyed it

Happy birthday to me!  The boys are super cute with their smiles :D

We also celebrated Amy's dad's birthday.  He wanted to go out for sushi so we went to a new place in Fremont which was pretty good.  They also had a free soft serve machine which was kid approved :)

Kids also really liked the hand rolls

Glad we got to go celebrate with Amy's parents .. every day is a blessing at this age

That's it for now.  Til next time!





No comments:

Post a Comment